Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Joseph, vandalised

This statue is beheaded. It is not St. Denis. In one hand a square is held. He is a workman, builder. The other a lily, symbol of purity and chastity. This is a statue of St. Joseph, the spouse of Mary, Mother of God. Joseph was a carpenter. Cleveland's Cavalry has little vandalism. This is one of the exceptions.

Saint Joseph is also the patron of a good death. It should be no surprise to see him represented in a graveyard. There are several prayers for this.
O blessed Joseph, who yielded up thy last breath in the arms of Jesus and Mary, obtain for me this grace, O holy Joseph, that I may breathe forth my soul in praise, saying in spirit, if I am unable to do so in words: “Jesus, Mary and Joseph, I give Thee my heart and my soul.” Amen.
Cathédrale Notre Dame de Paris. Denis is third from the left.

No comments:

Post a Comment